I hate driving. I really, really hate driving. The thing is, it's not the actual act of driving that gets to me. It is the lack of consideration amongst drivers that puts the fear in me. So, i've compiled a list of my top ten grievances with drivers. Here are my rules of the road.
10. Use one lane at a time.
A lot of times I'll see drivers want to make a left turn at the last minute and try and get into the turning lane. The thing is, they can't merge all the way into their chosen lane so they end up blocking traffic behind them (in both lanes). Here is a tip. If you can't get your car into one single lane then just stay put. That left turn lane you are trying to squeeze into is NOT the last left turn lane in the world. Stay put and you'll probably see another left turn lane in about 10 seconds.
9. LEFT TURNERS! This one is also for you. When you have a left turn yield light, it does not mean that you should hurry up and make your left turn before the light turns red. The yellow light, in fact, means proceed with caution. It does not mean oncoming traffic needs to slam on their brakes for your turn.
8. If you are lost, PULL OVER and figure it out.
7. PARKING: parking in LA is rough. I get it. This does not mean you need to box me in so tight that I need to wait 20 minutes for you to finish your shopping at 99 Cents store so that I can leave.
6. Blinkers. Use them.
5. Merging into my lane? If I have to swerve out of the way to not hit you, you're doing it wrong.
4. If you've been waiting to make a turn, and you cut me off that's annoying. If I check my mirrors and see there was no one else behind me, then it's personal.
3. Not using your blinker? If you turned it off I might not have to keep driving at 5 miles an hour in anticipation of your supposed upcoming turn.
2. I get it. You're in a hurry but if you honk at me because i'm waiting for a pedestrian, then i'm going to fantasize about murdering you.
1. Red lights mean STOP. I know you've been sitting in that left turn lane awhile but you are in a car - not a train. Latching on to the left turner in front of you does not give you immunity to red lights.